Saturday, May 6, 2017

Books: Interview with talented fantasy author Alysia Seymour



I'm so thrilled to introduce to you this amazing fantasy writer. Get to know the talented Alysia Seymour by reading her interview below. 

Where are you from and what's your background?

I was born in San Diego, California and here I’ve stayed. I love San Diego, and all my family and friends are here, so I never had enough incentive to relocate. I graduated college with a Bachelor’s degree in Anthropology and because I couldn’t find work in that field or get into graduate school, I fell into a banking job to pay the bills. It was during this time that I started writing to escape from the mundane -- and quite miserable -- life at my day job. But I’m thankful for this time because it was through that experience that I wrote my first novel, The Raven Dreams.

Everything always happens for a reason, right? When did you realize you wanted to write and when did you start writing?

For me, the realization hit me when I was reading my first run-thru of The Hunger Games. I realized how much I loved stories that really pulled me in, and that were written in a way that I became very attached to the characters and their journeys. It was in this moment that I first thought about writing something myself. I was about 25 years old when I first starting writing stories and my first attempt at a novel. Since that time (I’m now 33) I haven’t stopped writing. 


Writing can be quite addictive! What genre do you write and what's your target audience?

I love to write fantasy novels. I’ve always been a huge fantasy nerd myself so I naturally went in that direction with my own writing. The Raven Dreams is highly fantasy and it’s geared for young adults and adults alike. With that novel, my target audience is fantasy lovers looking for an escape into another world altogether. I’m currently working on my second novel, completely separate from The Raven Dreams, which I wrote over 5 years ago when I was at a very different place in my life.
Needless to say, my writing has changed a lot as I’ve grown. My second novel, which will be titled The Wonder Soul, is magical realism, also geared toward young adults and adults who enjoy a little bit of fantasy and magic in their stories.


Sounds exciting! How many books have you published so far?


I have one self-published book, The Raven Dreams, on Amazon. I also have a short story that I offer for free when people join my newsletter. It’s called The Quirky Old Couple. 

What is your favorite quote and who wrote it?

“A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone.” – Tyrion Lannister, Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Perfect quote for writers as well. Do you have a favorite author? Who? Has this author or his book(s) influenced your writing in any way?

My answer may be cliché but my favorite author is J.K. Rowling. The reason I choose her over all the great authors out there is because her books, the Harry Potter series, are what got me hooked on books. Harry Potter led me to some amazing friends and fun experiences too. J.K. Rowling has greatly influenced my own writing because she showed everyone that magic mixed in with powerful characters and well-written story can be so powerful. I’ve always loved fantasy – my entire childhood I loved it. But J.K. Rowling took it to an entirely new place for me I had not considered before and wrote a story that I will never grow out of.

She's indeed an amazing writer. If you could be a character from any book, who would you like to be and why?

I would have to choose Celia Bowen from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern because I think it would be fantastic to be able to physically manipulate people and things without having to lift a finger.

Great choice! What are you working on now?

I’m currently working on my second novel, The Wonder Soul. It’s a magical realism novel that follows Zoe Bennett, a 20-year-old girl struggling through life who reaches a breaking point when her boyfriend admits he cheated on her and calls off their relationship. From there, Zoe starts experiencing strange things that terrify her because she can’t explain them, and they only get worse. She leaves her hometown at travels first to San Francisco to visit her sister, then to Ireland where she meets an unlikely family who takes her in after a traumatizing event. Zoe is forced to grow even when she isn’t ready to and to be someone she never thought possible, all while facing shadows and creatures she can’t control. The Wonder Soul is scheduled for release Fall 2017.

Wow, that sounds intriguing! Where can we find out more about you and your writing?

You can find everything at my website at www.alysiaseymour.com. My blog and podcast are there, my social media contacts, and sign up for my newsletter to get my short story.

Fantastic. Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

I’d love to be part of your world and community. I’m always looking to make connections with like-minded people. Feel free to contact me contact@alysiaseymour.com so we can get in touch. If you’re a fantasy and magic lover, like me, or you just enjoy weekly inspiration I also created the Wonder Scribes and I release a weekly podcast as well as blog posts simply to build inspiration and to help each other dream greatly. You can find out more on my website, and I look forward to chatting!

Thank you so much for your time, Alysia, and wishing you success with your next release!

Sign up for Alysia's blog and check out her book here:

No comments :

Post a Comment