Saturday, May 20, 2017

Books: Interview with best-selling author Joshua Dowidat



We had the pleasure to interview Joshua Dowidat, a talented writer, and Amazon best-seller author. Read on to find out more about his life, writing, and books!

Hi, Joshua, where are you from and what's your background?

I live outside the town of Vail, Arizona, just southeast of Tucson. I grew up in the hills of the desert country and have been there most of my life.

I started my career in construction but since then went back and finished my Bachelor’s Degree and I am currently pursuing a career in Green Energy and Renewables or Sustainability.

That’s interesting, so when did you realize you wanted to write and when did you start writing if your career is not related to writing?

I always liked writing, actually I liked story telling. When someone asks me if I am a writer I tell them I am in a way. I am the author of a book and soon to be more but I may be more of a storyteller. The writing comes at ease but the editing is very helpful. I would have a bit of a struggle if it wasn’t for my editors.

As far as when I knew I wanted to pursue writing, well it’s a funny story. I never really did know.

I had some random writings sitting on my computer one day that I was compiling into a story to pass the time that I don’t sleep at night. My younger brother read it one day that I had accidentally left it on the computer. I wasn’t really ready to show anyone. He thought it was good and asked about it. I told him about it and he suggested I take it to someone. I did some research over the next few months and decided that it was time to take it to a publisher. Now I hope I can eventually pursue this as a second or primary career as I enjoy it.

Awesome choice. What genre do you write and what's your target audience?

My target audience is yet to be determined. However, the first book is 12 and older. I like this age
group because the child imagination is still present enough but you can also turn up the eeriness of the story without concern of frightening a kid too much. I plan on writing some that are more adult-oriented as well to expand my style and to see what genre and age group I tell the best stories in.

I prefer an eerie genre as my style of writing. That area right between horror and fantasy that still is enough to send shivers down your spine but with leaving enough up to the reader’s imagination.

Sounds exciting.  How many books have you published so far? Have you been published in any other publications or journals?

So far I have only published the first book. Although I say “only” I do not mean that it is a minor accomplishment. It was such an exciting moment and learning experience publishing my first book. The second is in the making.

I have not been published in any journals or other publications yet except for some minor mentions and the like on social media. I look forward to the day that someone asks me. Fingers crossed.

By no means, it’ not a minor accomplishment at all! And you’ll soon be publishing the second!  What is your favorite quote and who wrote it?

My favorite quote is not a quote per say, but more of a few lines from a book. The book is Forever Odd, by Dean Koontz.

“When we hope, we usually hope for the wrong thing.
We yearn for tomorrow and the progress that it represents. But
Yesterday was once tomorrow, and where was the progress in it?
Or we yearn for yesterday, for what was or what might have
Been. But as we are yearning, the present is becoming the past, so
The past is nothing but our yearning for second chances.”
     
These lines remind me that we need to focus on the future but remember the past and not dwell on it.

Excellent quote, and very appropriate.  Do you have a favorite author? Who? Has this author or his book(s) influenced your writing in any way?

I would have to say that my favorite author at this time is Dean Koontz. I randomly picked up his book Forever Odd one day and read it. I was in a “down” mood and this was a book I read for no other reason but to read a book. From then on I kept reading and buying his books. I then got back into some authors that I read at one time in my life, whether it was for school or another reason. I have since followed many authors and expand my readings as the time goes by. One thing is certain is that I do judge books by their covers. I never heard of Dean Koontz before that book and if the cover didn’t appeal to me, I would have never picked it up that day.

Since you picked a quote from him, I’d be guessing you’d choose him as your favorite author. And if you could be a character from any book, who would you like to be and why?

Such a hard question because you have to wonder if the character will define the story that the character is bound to. So imagining that this is how the question works I would have to choose Sherlock Holmes.

I would choose Holmes because he is educated, lives a good life as a respectable detective but has an adventurous lifestyle. He can be down and dirty and blend with the most prestige of the social classes. He gets to travel but still works for his living. He has a brotherly companion that would follow him to the end of the world and a heart that still searches for true love but also fears it. He is thoughtful yet a stubborn mule at times and has a knack to be eccentric above most.

I like your choice! What are you working on now?

I currently am working on a second book that I cannot fully reveal yet because it might be a spoiler for some. I did have to put it on hold for some time while I finished marketing the first and worked with a production company on a Treatment for my first book.

I have however just finished the second proofreading on it and it is ready to go to the editors as soon as I get a little more free time. It’s been a busy year so far.

Congratulations!  Where can we find out more about you and your writing?

For more information, you can check out my web page at www.joshuadowidat.com. My book is for sale on several websites in paperback and several eBook formats. I also have an author page on Amazon and can be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/joshuadowidat and on twitter @joshuadowidat. Another good place to find me as well as many other authors is on GoodReads.

Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?
    
Yes. I think that everyone should try things and take a risk at some point in their lives. I never would
have thought I would be doing what I am doing right now with the book and the other areas it has taken me. My goal was to get a book published when it was brought to my attention. The rest is all extra now. I pursue it with a free spirit but with a realistic approach. I understand what could possibly happen but understand that nothing might. Still, I push forward seeing how far it will take me, I constantly learn and develop new skills. Skills I have been able to apply elsewhere in life.

So, plain and simple. You never know what will happen if you don’t take a chance. Life is full of regrets but try to live without ever regretting taking a chance that might broaden your horizon.

Thank you so much for your time sharing a little bit of your life and work with our readers. We wish you success with your upcoming release and in your writing career!

No comments :

Post a Comment