Thursday, April 13, 2017

Books: Interview with Fantasy Writer Mackenzie Flohr



Today we welcome to the blog writer Mackenzie Flohr, and we're delighted to find out more about this talented writer.

Please tell us where are you from and what's your background?

I grew up in Strongsville, Ohio chasing leprechauns and rainbows and dreaming of angels. My parents nurtured a love of fantasy and make-believe by introducing me at a very young age to the artistic and cultural opportunities that the city of Cleveland had to offer. I studied theater at the Beck Center for the Cultural Arts in Lakewood, where a world of wonder was only a script and a performance away. I received my Bachelor of Arts from Ashland University in Ashland, OH, and my associates in Computer Animation from Baker College of Flint. Besides being an author, I'm a full-time inbound phone bank representative.

Sounds like a very creative upbringing that would eventually lead you to the arts, right? So when did you realize you wanted to write and when did you start writing?

I have always dreamed of writing a book and being an author, but seeing it actually get published? That part I wasn’t sure would ever happen. It’s one thing to start a book, but it’s another thing to actually finish it!

My parents nurtured a love for the creative arts from a very young age. From the time I could hold a pencil, I was already creating pictorial interpretations of classic stories, and by the age of nine, a childhood friend and I were authors and reviewers of our own picture books.

After I finished college, I decided I wanted to write a fantasy of my own, one that could inspire imagination in others and lead them into a magical world of their own making.

Isn't it great to go after your dream? What genre do you write and what's your target audience?

I write fantasy, which can be read from teens to adults. My novel will appeal to fans of The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and even Doctor Who (specifically fans of the Eleventh Doctor).

Everyone loves a good fantasy. How many books have you published? Do you have a favorite?



This is actually my first novel, so I do not think I can answer the question without it sounding biased, however, this novel is very special to me in many ways. I can say though that there will be other books to this series so maybe ask me this question again a bit further down the road ;-)

Glad to hear it's a series! And I love the cover. What is your favorite quote, and who wrote it?

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!" - from Back To The Future movie trilogy.

True quote, isn't it? Do you have a favorite author? Who? What's your favorite book? Has this author or book influenced your writing in any way?

This is a tough question. My favorite author would have to be J.R.R. Tolkien, however, my favorite book is by Michael Ende. Tolkien and J.K. Rowling have both influenced my writing through my world-building and magical spell building.

Excellent influence from these superb writers. If you could be a character from any book, who would you like to be and why?

I would be myself in The Neverending Story. I love the world of Fantastica. When I was a child, my Mom gave me a necklace that belonged to her Mom, and I used to wear it and pretend I had Auryn. Only problem is, if I was myself in The Neverending Story, that would mean I would have Auryn and I’m not confident I would be as lucky as Bastian was to return to earth. (Those who have read the book will understand why)!

I'd have to read it again to remember, it's a fantastic story. What are you working on now?

I am working on the beginnings of a short story to hopefully be included in upcoming an anthology. I am also beginning to work on another series, which is going to be a futuristic science-fiction horror. The series revolves around a teenage man who is living in an advanced medical facility in Area 51 and is suffering from amnesia. And I’m brain storming for the second book in The Rite of Wands series!

Where can we find out more about you and your work?

You can follow me at:

Is there anything else you'd like to share?

Yes. I will be making my debut at the B2BCYCON in April, which I’m very excited about. Also on April 14th, I will be a guest on the ArtistFirst Radio Network, which broadcasts to over 80,000 people. And if you’re anywhere near the state of Michigan, I will be signing copies of The Rite of Wands at the Ann Arbor Book Festival Street Fair in June!

How exciting! Good luck and keep writing. Thanks so much for sharing a little of your work with us!

To purchase Mackenzie's book click here:

 


No comments :

Post a Comment