Thursday, January 26, 2017

Books: Interview with Canadian Writer H.M. Shander



Today we're excited to introduce you to H.M. Shander, a Canadian writer. Read on to find out more about her and her awesome books! 

It’s a pleasure to host you today. Tell us where you are from and your background.

I am from the Great White North, where it feels like we get winter from October until May. Summer is so freaking short. Seriously, though, I'm from Edmonton, Alberta. Home of the world's largest indoor triple loop roller coaster.

That sounds terrifying and it must give you ideas to write horror stories! Talking about writing, when did you realize you wanted to write and when did you start writing?

I've been writing since I was 14, but it was only after a NaNoWriMo 'win' in 2012 that jumpstarted the desire to work towards publication. I still have those original, (handwritten on loose-leaf, bound together with yarn, decorated with cut outs from Teen Magazine) tucked away. They are good for a solid laugh into the mindset of a naive 14-year-old. ;)

How fun! Those are precious memories. What genre do you write and what's your target audience?

I write Contemporary Romance, with some novels in the New Adult age category. My target audience is typically ladies from 15 - 40, although I know many men who have read my book, and many more above age 40.

Romance is ageless, right? How many books have you published? Do you have a favorite?


I've published three novels (well, four if you count the one coming out Feb 28th). My favourite so far has to be Duly Noted, because it's the most fun. It features a sport I quite enjoy, so it was a lot of fun gathering up 'research' on it and watching it all play out.

What is your favorite quote, and who wrote it?

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars" - I have no idea who wrote it though. It seems to have several credits.

It’s a quite inspirational quote, though! Do you have a favorite author? Who? What's your favorite book? Has this author or book influenced your writing in any way?

I have too many favourite authors and books to list as my absolute favourites. They influenced me because they never gave up on their dreams. In that regard, I will never give up on mine. I will tell the story that needs to be told, regardless of what is considered mainstream.

That’s the way to do it. And if you could be a character from any book, who would you like to be and why?

I'd like to be Hermione Granger - she's brilliant, loyal and beautiful. She's tough and never gives up.

Great choice. A real heroine. What are you working on now?

Right now I am halfway through the sequel to Duly Noted & That Summer. It is untitled for now, but I'm optimistic for a late 2017 release date. There are lots of twists and turns and the main characters have to face some really difficult decisions about their future and future relationships.

Sounds exciting. So where can we find out more about you and your work?

You can visit my website (www.hmshander.com), follow me on Twitter (@HM_Shander) or facebook (www.facebook.com/hmshander). I share lots of tidbits and teasers on my blog (hmshander.blogspot.ca) and share info on my books current and upcoming. 

Awesome! Is there anything else you'd like to share with our readers?

Yes - thanks for reading. Follow me on Twitter and chat with me. I'm exceptionally responsive. :) Thanks for taking a chance on an indie author and if you read my books, I hope you fall in love with the main characters. (PS. Andrew is super sweet, and Nate is totally swoon-worthy!)
If you go to this blog post, it has the newest release, as well as all the other book links. Much easier than posting them all. :)


Thank you so much for stopping by and telling us a little about you and your books. Good luck with the new launch and keep writing!

No comments :

Post a Comment