Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Book: Mind Over Medicine by Lissa Rankin, M.D.

Book:  Mind Over Medicine by  Lissa Rankin, M.D. 


As soon as I glimpsed this book's title, I was interested in reading it. I've always been a believer that the power of the mind can make it possible to self heal. And it was with no surprise that I found this book actually reinforces my beliefs that we can, with the right mind set and the right environment, be a catalyst in developing our own good health.

This book brings in scientific studies to prove we hold the key to improve our health; at the same token, we can make ourselves sick by believing in sickness and nurturing hopelessness. By no means Lissa Rankin suggests for us to ditch the doctors and just think healthy thoughts, but together with positive thinking, the right therapy (alternative or otherwise) and the right environment, cure is possible.

Even the wrong medical provider can sabotage a good cure. It actually happened to me. In two separate occasions, when I didn't like the doctor I was seeing (not enough caring, no good rapport), my treatment didn't yield good results. When I had to seek for a second opinion and actually had a great interaction with the new doctor, the treatment was totally successful because I believed the doctor was capable enough to cure me, and I knew it was going to be alright. Lissa highlights several similar situations in her book, and also tells her own story.

Positive thinking can improve your health, and several factors in your life are also important for your health to thrive. Great examples of health nuts whose health was not OK because they were involved in bad relationships, or unsatisfying and stressful jobs, or something else that aggravated their health no matter what they did externally, illustrates the chapters. If, internally, you're not in peace with yourself and your world, you won't reap all the benefits you could from exercise, diet, etc. Doctors, teachers and parents should read this book and apply the advice given here. It should be mandatory reading!



FTC Disclosure: I received this book for free from Hay House Publishing for this review. The opinion in this review is unbiased and reflects my honest judgment of the product.

2 comments :

  1. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    Syl Stein

    #ShareTheLove from the WLC!

    ReplyDelete